Fisheries Special Economic Zone
Sindh is blessed with 352 kms coastline making it ideal for shrimp, crab and fish farming. The land for developing Fisheries Special Economic Zone measuring 20,000 acres has already been identified in District Thatta. The Sindh Board of Investment in collaboration with Fisheries Department, Government of Sindh would undertake the project.
The project is envisioned to be run by Zone Development Company with foreign technical assistance. The company will oversee the infrastructure and operation & maintenance of the project. SBI will create mechanism for investment facilitation and subsidized financing for the investors in the zone which will include financing of 100 fish farms, of 25 hectares each, to be managed jointly by private investors with international experts for two years. The cost of individual farm which will initially be financed through such investment mechanism which will be paid back in 5 years by the private investors. In the first phase SBI will finance development of 20 farms and would undertake second phase on successful implementation of the first phase. The fund would be revolving and recovery will be used for future extensions.
- Fulfill the requirement of meat through planned development and enhanced technical input.
- Improve socio-economic conditions of the rural Sindh
- Create employment and economic opportunities for rural people.
- Enhance foreign exchange earnings capturing world Halal food market through exports.
- Introduce international best practices and new technologies in research for fisheries development.
- Capacity building of the local investor/Fisherman and Government officials involved in the sector.