liveStock & Dairy Sector
Livestock Sector of Pakistan contributes:
- Agriculture (value addition) – 60 %
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP) – 11.53 %
- Employment – 8 million Families
Total Meat Production of Pakistan is approximately 4.9 million tons (Beef 2.3 million and Mutton 0.8 million)
- Over 2 million Hides/Skin are produced annually, used by Leather Industry
- Pakistan Exports Livestock products worth 1.5 billion US$
- Pakistan is ranked 4th in milk production of the World
- Pakistan has World’s 4th largest livestock herd with over 200 million animals:
Species Herd Size(in million)
- Global Trade of Halal products is around US$ 3.0 trillion in global Halal markets, in which Pakistan has only US$ 29 million.
Ministry of National Food Security and Research
Economic Survey of Pakistan
Pakistan Bureau of Statistics
State Bank of Pakistan
Dairy and Livestock is another significant cluster in the agri-economy of the province of Sindh. Although, Pakistan stands out as the 4th largest milk producer, but due to presence of various challenges in the postproduction handling, a significant volume of milk is lost. We have not been
able to realize the true potential of this cluster as we are yet to develop high-end value-added products such as Mozzarella Cheese, Flavored Milk & Yogurt and others.
This sector contributes 11.53% to GDP. There are roughly 8 million people employed within this industry. Over the last five years, domestic and foreign investment in dairy farms and the dairy processing sector in Pakistan amount to more than $870 million over the last five years.
SEDF is striving to develop modern dairy farms that can develop their own brand milk and value-added products. Efforts are underway to develop the allied industry like animal feed, health, and other such areas. Slaughterhouses are encouraged to introduce Offal processing line to improve their profitability.