Private Sector Projects
Al Tuwairqi Steel Mills
Tuwairqi Steel Mills Limited (TSML) is a state of the art environment-friendly steel manufacturing project which is based on the world’s most advanced Direct Reduced Iron (DRI) technology of the Midrex Process owned by Kobe Steel of Japan. With a designed capacity to produce 1.5 million tons of high-quality DRI per annum, TSML will be the largest privatesector integrated steel manufacturing unit in Pakistan.
Spreads over 220 acres at Muhammad Bin Qasim Port
Zone, Karachi, Pakistan.
P-I: Direct Reduced Iron (DRI)1.28 million ton per year
(MTPY) expandable up to 1.5 MTPY
P-II: Electric Arc Furnace and Continuous Caster 1.28
MTPY Billets & Slabs production
P-III: Pelletization Plant 2.4 MTPY Oxide Pellets
Phase – I : US$ 235 million
Phase – II : US$ 380 million
Phase – III : US$ 300 million
Lotte Group of South Korea
- Lotte Group has entered the Pakistani market by investing USD 800 mn in acquiring PTA plant in Karachi, Sindh
- It is planning to make further investment in food & beverages, tourism and energy sector.
- JS Group has grown from its roots in Pakistan’s financial services industry. JS Financial operates market-leading companies in asset management, investment banking, securities brokerage, commercial banking, insurance and trade finance.
- The group also includes ve vertical businesses: JS Industrial, JS Infocom, JS Property, JS Resources and JS Transportation.
Al Abbas Coal Mining and Power Project in Badin Coalfield
- Exploration completed over an area of 100 sq kms in Badin Coal field
- Potential of fuel for 500 MW power plant identied
- Bankable Feasibility under process
CMC of China – Coal Mining and Power Project Sonda
- M/s CMC a Chinese coal mining company has completed feasibility study in Sonda Coa field in Thatta District
- Mining lease issued by Sindh Mines & Mineral Department
- Matter is under process with PPIB (Private Power Infrastructure Board)
Wind Energy Projects
Sindh possesses a considerable potential (50,000 MW) of electrification through renewable wind energy in the costal as well as desert area of Sindh. The wind corridor is 60 km wide and 180 km long and runs from Gharo to Hyderabad. It is considered to possess optimal conditions extremely feasible for setting up Wind Projects.
Zorlu Energy of Turkey
Project Cost: USD 120 mn
Capacity: 50 MW
First phase: 6 MW already commissioned.
Second phase: 44 MW under commisioning
Metro Power Company Ltd
Metro Power Company limited is sponsored by Gul Ahmed group
Location: Jhampir spread on area of 1,553 Acres of Land
Project cost: USD 125 Million
Capacity: 50 MW
Commencement of commercial operation – April 2012
Green Power Private Limited
Green power Private limited is sponsored by Tapal Group and METCO Group
Location: Jhampir spread on 1600 Acers of land
Project cost: USD 125 Million
Capacity: 49.5 MW
LNG Terminal at Port Qasim
Pakistan Mashal LNG Project
Natural Gas Importation LNG Receiving Terminal and Supply. It’s development consists of two phases. The first phase is a fast track development involving a floating storage and re-gasification unit. The second phase will be conventional land based terminal. The phase-1 facility is designed to receive 3.5 million tons of LNG which will supply 500 million cubic feet of gas per day. Both phases involve foreign investment of around US$700 million and would contribute considerably towards alleviating Pakistan’s current energy crisis.
- Estimated Cost in US$ Phase-1 $150 Million / Phase-2 $800 Million
- Supplement Depleting Domestic Gas, Hence Increase Electricity Available
- Some 30% Cost Reduction In Marginal Power Generation Cost
P&G Diaper & Detergent Manufacturing Plant
P&G has purchased 25 acres of land at Port Qasim for the construction of a complete industrial production unit. This will cater to the setup of a FMCG manufacturing facility as well as future expansion needs.
The dry laundry detergent plant has been designed to support the production of P&G’s premiere brand Ariel and other detergent brands. The diaper manufacturing plant will enable local production of P&G’s leading diaper brand Pampers. The manufacturing site will be equipped with the latest state of the art technology and will be comparable to P&G plants around the world.
Benefits for the country
- FDI USD 100 mn.
- Foreign Exchange Savings worth nearly USD 650 million in 10 years , in the form of raw material import versus fished goods
- Local Value Addition worth close to $ 288 million on laundry detergent and $ 316 million on diapers in 10 years
- 7,000 + employment opportunities (directly and indirectly) -huge investment in local skill development